All stories and poems must be submitted using Submittable (click on the appropriate link at the bottom of this page).
Short story and Poetry submissions are now open.
We no longer accept reprints for stories or poems.
Give us INTENSITY with high EMOTION in your writing and bring AWE to readers.
Give us something unexpected and well written. Technique, voice, characterization, and language will all play a part in our decision to publish. Amaze us with your writing, use of language, sense of story, and memorable characters. Give us a story readers will not be able to forget and will eagerly recommend to others.
If you want us to take your work seriously, please edit and proofread carefully prior to submission. Manuscripts with significant typographical, spelling, or grammatical errors—where we feel compelled to grab a red pen after reading the first couple of pages—will likely be declined without being read further.
Our editorial policies respect the artistic license of our authors. However, there are occasions when changes are needed that go beyond basic spelling, grammar, and punctuation corrections. In any case, the author will always be given final approval, prior to publication, over substantial edits made by our staff. We appreciate your willingness to work with us in this regard.
Format and Deadlines
All submissions should…
- Have 1 inch margins, single spaced lines, with extra space between paragraphs (and no indents)
- Do not use fancy headers or footers, text effects, background colors or images.
- Use a standard font (Arial, Calibri, Times Roman, Courier) in 10, 11 or 12 point size.
- PDF files are not allowed owing to the difficulties in reviewing and suggesting edits for them. Be assured that all work submitted to LI is protected and no changes are made without consulting with the author.
- Include your first and last name, and your email address on the first page of your submission.
Liquid Imagination comes out once a quarter, in the last week of the months below:
Submissions for upcoming issues cut off roughly a month before the publication date. Due to the high number of submissions we receive, please wait until after four months to inquire on status (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have not received a response from us.
Rights and Royalties
Liquid Imagination pays a flat fee of $8 for short stories (1001 words up to 6000 words) and poems, and $3 for flash stories (up to 1000 words). A $2 bonus will be added for authors who accept payment via Paypal (which shall be the assumed payment method unless you specifically state otherwise). Note: Only authors in the United States have the option of receiving a mailed echeck. Everyone else MUST use PayPal or forfeit payment.
In exchange, we require:
For previously unpublished WORK
The AUTHOR grants First World Rights to the PUBLISHER.
The AUTHOR grants Anthology Rights to the PUBLISHER.
The AUTHOR grants Archival Rights to the PUBLISHER
- Assurance that submitted work is not currently published elsewhere (including freely accessibly “public” Internet sites);
- Authors must warrant that they are the sole author of the work, that the work is original, and that no other entity has reserved the rights required by Silver Pen for publication;
- Authors must warrant that the work does not contain libelous material or material copyrighted by another party.
Other important Points
- Pieces posted for critique on a controlled-access website (user ID and password required to access) are not considered “published.”
- If you use Duotrope, please remember to report your responses. It helps keep us honest.
We are looking for stories beyond great, we want amazing stories - modern fantasy, science fiction, horror, dark fantasy, or literary. We want awe and intensity. We're shooting for short stories from 1000 words up to 6,000 words.
Submit only one (1) story per file, and upload only one file at a time. Anything other than the first story will be discarded unread. Do not submit another story until we have notified you regarding the acceptance status of your story.
Please note that we no longer accept reprints.
We encourage all genres (especially speculative) as long as they are written with literary quality and possess literary depth. Though we do not discourage rhyming poetry, we prefer open (free) verse.
If you are amenable to suggested edits, please follow these guidelines:
- Submit up to 5 poems (previously unpublished anywhere) in a single Word document
- Each poem begins on a new page and is left-justified
- Include a cover letter with your poem(s) submission
- Cover letter needs to include your contact info and a 3rd person bio
- Title the file with your last name
The best way to determine our editorial focus is to read what the current poetry editor has accepted. Please refrain from having to explain your poems before I read them.
John C. Mannone